town called Crewe
From Samuel Bagshaw's History & Gazateer of the County of Cheshire
Crewe is a considerable and thriving market town, partly in Barthomley
and Crewe parishes, but principally in Coppenhall parish, and locally
situated in the township of Monks-Coppenhall, 41/2 miles S.W. by
S. from Sandbach, and about the same distance from Nantwich.
About the year 1840 there were only three or four farm-houses, in
the place which then might be called Crewe, and which now merits
notice as an important and flourishing market town, enjoying a prominent
geographical position among the railway stations of this country,
and is the nucleus where converge lines of the first importance,
and from whence the traveller may be conveyed to most parts of the
London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, and Chester have direct
communication with Crewe ; and divers ramifications and branches
effect the transit to other places.
This pleasant and well-built market town is situated a quarter of
a mile west from the railway station, and since the opening of the
Grand Junction and the London and Birmingham Railways, building
has been carried on with amazing spirit and activity, and the town
now contains upwards of 800 good houses, commodious and well-furnished
shops, elegant hotels and tavems, a beautiful church, town hall,
several handsome dissenting chapels, and school etc, have sprung
up, and formed a town of magnitude as if by magic; the whole has
a neat and compact appearance; the streets are open, and laid out
with regularity-well sewered, and abundantly supplied with water.
cannot be much less than 5,000 persons.
The London and North-Western Railway Company own upwards of 500
houses. The Railway Company's works, which are on a grand scale,
and cover an area of seven acres, furnish employment to near one
thousand artizans and others.
Caption: An average of almost two engines a week were turned out
from Crewe Works at the height of their fame, between 1857 and 1920.
BACK TO ARCHIVES